Thu, Sep 19, 2013
- We have pirate costumes.
- We have pirate tattoos (of the temporary & the not-so variety).
- We have a family flag of the pirate’y persuasion.
- We have pirate’y cold weather leg coverings.
- We have pirate technology.
- We have a pirateVERSION of our beloved Texas head adornment.
- We have pirate’ISH running skirts & sports bras.
- We have scarves, mugs, plates, cups, silverware, lollipops, rings, shirts, shoes, scarves, tights, & pants all in the pirate theme.
We own an inflatable pirate.
As you’d imagine, today our household is all about laughter & lagoons. Silliness & scurvy talk.
Or, more aptly put, we compel our pirate to get *his* exercise on in preparation for a day of hornpipe playing and grog drinking.
I know he appears happy. Do not be misled.
He’s not a morning-pirate and hasnt worked out in years.
Ever cautious I insist he warm up FIRST.
Next we move on to some fun core work: hooping!
Since, to his pirate’y chagrin, he doesnt rock the hoop–I segue to something at which he excels. Resistance training!
(I know it looks like a jump rope. I blame his hook.)
Ever the vigilant trainer I intuit my pirate needs agility & speed work.
I quickly set up cones for him to run.
Once his cold, pirate heart-rate returns to normal we head outside for Swiss ball push-ups.
(Indeed these do resemble planks. I learned the hard way (unless you want to walk one)—do not tell him so!)
Finally, because Ive given up trying to teach him how to use my beloved lacrosse ball for his booty (rimshot!), we foam roll and call it a day.
We really do embrace, celebrate and go
way a wee bit overboard on Talk like a Pirate Day.
But dont panic.
- Were you blissfully unaware today was a holiday?
- Do you have absolutely no clue how to celebrate this momentous, annual occasion?
Fear no more.
Ive created some fun for you to play along with at home.
Please to click on my pirate below.